Sunday, June 6, 2010

Venting Some Frustration

I live in the Collegiate Station Apartment Complex in Canyon, TX. Rent is low, utilities are low, the grounds are mostly clean, and the residents are mostly quiet. It's even pretty close to campus. The few times I've had complaints, they've almost always been resolved within the week. The management has never seemed top notch, but it's never been horrible either. Did I mention that rent is low?

My one consistent complaint with the complex is that they use Pavlov Media as their cable and internet provider. Ninety-five percent of the time it works just fine, perfectly acceptable. Then there is that five percent of the time (like now) when it comes and goes in spurts, and generally sucks more than dial up. When you talk to the apartment complex's main office, they tell you it's not their fault, and that you should call Pavlov Media.

When you call Pavlov Media, you get someone (often speaking English as a second language) who gives you the run around. After thirty minutes of arguing about it, they finally understand that the internet isn't working, at which point they tell you that it's fine on their end and you should talk to your apartment's main office.

The end result is several days of torturously living like you're in the early 1990's (what did I do before internet?) hoping for the satellite connection and routers to miracle themselves to a consistent working state. I admit, I'm totally dependent on the internet. It provides my entertainment. I get ninety percent of my news from it. It's a communication medium with many people in my life. It's a general reference tool for anything I become inquisitive about. Heck, it's even where I pay some of my bills. So when it disappears, I'm rarely sure what to do with myself. I guess I'll have to read a book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post anonymously, please post your name and keep it civil. :)