Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I am a Freemason

An Entered Apprentice Freemason, specifically.

And though I've only begun to work in the craft, I honestly can't understand why anyone has any objections to the work of Freemasons. Yes, I am but an iota into everything there is to know about Freemasonry, but everything I've learned is good.

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that most objections to the fraternity are simply fear of the unknown. Fear of what a bunch of old gentlemen do once a week in their lodge meetings. (Mostly planning of breakfasts and cookouts, and sometimes charitable work.) And yes, it's a fear that's exactly as silly as it sounds.

I make this post mostly because I had a fear. Fear of what others might think if they knew I was a Freemason, fear of perhaps harassment, maybe lack of trust, or maybe, like others have, fear of an unknown reaction. But I now realize that's not necessary. In fact, if anything, I should wear it on my sleeve so to speak. Masonry shouldn't be feared, or even cast a suspicious glance. It should be seen in the community doing good works. That's the only way to earn the trust of those critics of the craft and to spark interest among those future brothers who have an interest in the fraternity. And I hope that as I continue my Masonic education, I can grow from a good man to become a better man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post anonymously, please post your name and keep it civil. :)