Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Grandfather's Masonry

(Disclaimer: Picture is a random one off the internet - my grandfather's apron has yet to be found!)
303LAMBSKIN


One of, if not my first memories of Freemasonry is that of my mom finding my grandfather's apron when she was going through his belongings after he died. I didn't understand what Masonry was back then (I was very young, although sadly I don't remember the exact year), nor the symbolism of the white leather apron. She was somewhat surprised when she came across, as he was never particularly active in the lodge after he moved to Midland. (Which they did when she was very young.)

One of my other goals while visiting Midland was to find out what had happened to his apron. Though it's in her possession and not mind, I would very much appreciate it if I could have it, as it would mean a lot to me. I'd like to think that he would be pleased that I am a Mason, and if I could wear his apron it would (at least to me, ever the traditional sentimentalist) bring me a little bit closer to him. I never really had a chance to know him when he was living, and this is one connection I can have to that part of the family.

Anyway, I asked, and I was a bit disappointed. My mom wasn't entirely sure where his apron ended up. We searched a couple boxes of his old belongings that she had (which was cool in and of itself), but no avail. She said she would search another place or two for it when she had the chance. Not that there's any rush. I won't be a Master Mason for another two, maybe three months. Still... I hope the search turns out positive. I don't want to seem like I have a feeling of entitlement, but after my mom's dad, I'm the next, and to my knowledge, only Mason in the family. I'd like to see his apron at the very least, and glean from it what I can about his Masonic past and, in some way, my Masonic heritage.

I also asked about jewelry. He was, as a hobby during his working life, and as a job in his retirement, a jeweler. He made jewelry, both as a hobby and an income, and he was pretty darn good at it. Some of his faceted gems are still displayed at the Midland Gem and Mineral Society's show cases. He was a good Faceter.

That said, apparently he did not own a single piece of Masonic jewelry. Not one ring, not one pin, not even a pair of cufflinks. Which is incredibly ironic, I think. The one person who could have a ring exactly how he wanted it at an affordable price, yet he never did. It's something to think about, and I honestly am not sure what to make of it. It makes me wish I had known him better, that I might understand why he never wore any jewelry.

Anyway, all of this is on my mind as I go towards my Fellow Craft next week. Of course during band camp, but things would be too boring if they were easy.

May happy thought for this fall? Student teaching and more Masonry in my life, less school and school related worries. I think I'll be a much happier person this fall than I typically am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post anonymously, please post your name and keep it civil. :)